South Dakota Jobs

South Dakota Department of Labor & Regulation mobile logo

Job Information

Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs ARCHITECT in Aberdeen, South Dakota


This position is located with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Great Plains Region, Facilities Division, in Aberdeen, South Dakota. NOTE:




Provides opinions and advice touching on matters with the technical specialization and overall planning, design, construction and project management of facilities projects.

Responsible for the repair and maintenance, renovation; conversion, or modernization of existing BIA, Bureau of Indian Education (BIE), Office of Justice Services (OJS) or assistance to tribally owned facilities throughout the region.

Serves as Contracting Officer Technical Representative (COTR), Grants Officer Technical Representative (GOTR), and/or Awarding Official Technical Representative (AOTR).

Responsible for architectural determinations concerning contract award and review, approval, and direction/guidance of work being completed by Architect/Engineering firms in the private sector.

Develops project management plans and fiscal phases and schedules.

Facilitates development of project concepts and develops preliminary project budget estimates in accordance with Project Management Institutes standards and best practices, and GAO guidance on cost estimating.

Interprets national policy and other operating guidelines, provides expert advice and guidance to regional personnel and to ensure program requirements are in compliance with overall policies, procedures, objectives, and instructions.

Conducts interim inspection of repair and improvement work in project as well as final inspections. Recommends final acceptance of construction work and prepares contact closeout documents.


Conditions of Employment


EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: (OPM Operating Manual, Qualification Standards for Professional and Scientific Positions, GS-0808: Architect Series). BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL GS-0808 GRADES: A. Degree: architecture; or related field that included 60 semester hours of course work in architecture or related disciplines of which at least (1) 30 semester hours were in architectural design, and (2) 6 semester hours were in each of the following: structural technology, properties of materials and methods of construction, and environmental control systems. OR B. Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the arts and sciences underlying professional architecture, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the architectural principles, methods, and techniques and their applications to the design and construction or improvement of buildings. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by at least one of the following: Related Curriculum: Degree in architectural engineering may be accepted as satisfying in full the basic requirements, provided the completed course work in architectural engineering provided knowledge, skills, and abilities substantially equivalent to those provided in the courses specified in paragraph A. The curriculum for a degree in either architecture or architectural engineering covers function, esthetics, site, structure, economics, mechanical-electrical, and other engineering problems related to the design and construction of buildings primarily (but not exclusively) intended to house human activities. The courses required for a degree in architecture generally place emphasis upon planning, esthetics, and materials and methods of construction, while the courses for an architectural engineering degree place equal or greater weight on the technical engineering aspects such as structural systems, mechanical systems, and the properties of materials. Because of this difference in emphasis, persons with degrees in architecture may have a preference for work assignments that offer greater opportunities for them to express their artistic and creative abilities. As a result, they may be more concerned with planning and design aspects of architecture, and persons with degrees in architectural engineering may be more engaged in aspects emphasizing technical engineering considerations. Experience: An applicant lacking a degree in architecture must have had l year of experience in an architect's office or in architectural work for each year short of graduation from a program of study in architecture. In the absence of college courses, 5 years of such experience is required. This experience must have demonstrated that the applicant has acquired a thorough knowledge of the fundamental principles and theories of professional architecture. NOTE: The following kinds of experience are not acceptable as professional architectural experience: professional landscape architecture work consisting mainly of the layout, design, construction, or maintenance of land areas and landscape features, including ground and water forms, vegetation, roads, walks, incidental structures, and other landscape features; experience in the application of artistic embellishment to practical design such as the decoration of interiors, including the construction, layout, and selection of furniture and furnishings that do not alter the basic architectural design of the interior; city and community planning work that relates to the broad social and economic growth and development of such community services and facilities as industry, commerce, transportation, streets, utilities, and parks. ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: In addition to meeting the basic entry level qualification requirements, applicants must have the following: GS-12: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in architecture work related to facilities management construction planning and design that has equipped me with the knowledge, skill, and abilities to successfully perform the duties described in this announcement. Examples of experience may include work under minimal supervision and the ability to directly resolve issues that are controversial or impact directly on agency mission and policy. Independently plans and carries out work, establishes specific priorities, and resolves most technical problems without a supervisor's intervention. Assignments show participation in activities such as: senior level facilities construction planning and design; work as a Contracting Officers Technical Representative (COTR) or Grant's Officer's Technical Representative (GOTR) on architecture type contracts; uses project management software to collect, analyze, calculate, and report project data. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and is typically in or related to the position to be filled. SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR: In addition to the qualifications requirements above, candidates must possess the following, which has been determined to be essential to the position, to be considered eligible for this position: Registration as a professional architect is required for this position. The Architectural Registration is essential to this position, which has the responsibility of serving as the regional technical authority in architecture. This position is responsible for approval of architectural design standards and criteria used on projects within the Region and is responsible for architectural determinations concerning contract award and review, approval, and direction/guidance of work being completed by Architect/Engineering firms in the private sector where licensure is the standard upon which one is evaluated as to their expertise. Therefore, the requirement of Architecture Registration is due to the position's impact on public health and safety and interaction with private consultants, Architectural and Engineering firms, and architect professionals from states, Indian Tribes, and federal agencies. These interactions and related decisions require a level of technical authority and professional standing obtained only from registration as a professional architect. APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF THEIR CURRENT CERTIFICATION OF THE ARCHITECTURAL REGISTRATION. NOTE: Selective factors are knowledge, skills, and abilities, or special qualifications that are in addition to the minimum requirements in a qualification standard, but are determined to be essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. Applicants who do not meet the selective factors are ineligible for further consideration. You MUST provide a current copy of your Architectural Registration when submitting your application. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date. Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472). Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur in the same location within 90 days from the closing date.


If you are qualifying based on your education, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement. If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society. One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education which shows the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: FOREIGN EDUCATION

Additional Information

All new hires earn the beginning salary of their pay grade (Step 1). See 2019 Salary Tables here and select the duty station from the Aberdeen, South Dakota to choose the appropriate pay chart. If no specific chart is listed for this geographic location, see the "rest of U.S." chart. The full performance level of this position is GS-12. TELEWORK: Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster. You may occasionally be required to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: . Certain candidates may be eligible to apply under a special hiring authority including those for disabled individuals, Peace Corps employees, Foreign Service employees, veterans, etc. For more information, visit the following OPM websites: USAJOBS Information Center:; Vets Info Guide: Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. Most individuals who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.