South Dakota Jobs

South Dakota Department of Labor & Regulation mobile logo

Job Information

Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN (CIVIL) in Aberdeen, South Dakota


This position is located with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Great Plains Region, Division of Transportation, in Aberdeen, South Dakota. NOTE:



Provide guidance to construct highways, bridges, drainage structures, roads, and transportations facilities for Indian Tribes, governments, and communities.

Contribute work to transportation program for construction projects.

Apply engineering practices and techniques associated with construction of transportation systems, structures, and related projects.

Operate automated system software to complete work assignments for transportation projects.

Perform technical work in support of transportation program for construction inspections.

Prepare accurate records of construction operations, methods, equipment usage for prevention of costly overrun of construction projects.


Conditions of Employment


EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: (OPM Operating Manual, Qualification Technical and Medical Standards; and Individual Occupational Requirements (IOR), Engineering Technical Series, GS-0802). SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:

GS-8: In addition to the requirements at the lower grade level(s), I have at least one year of full-time specialized experience or the equivalent, comparable to at least the GS-7 in the Federal Service (obtained in either the public or private sector). This experience includes assisting a supervisor on contractual construction and maintenance projects. Prepare lists of materials, supplies, equipment, and manpower on estimated projects for long term budget planning. Inform supervisor of progress of construction and maintenance projects and recommends changes in accordance to policies and regulations. Review design plans to meet criteria and specifications. Assist with preparing audit reports for completed road projects. Perform final inspection of the project with Tribe, State, or Federal organization. GS-9: In addition to the requirements at the lower grade level(s), I have at least one year of full-time specialized experience or the equivalent, comparable to at least the GS-8 in the Federal Service (obtained in either the public or private sector). This experience prepares daily or weekly reports. Calculates daily and cumulative quantities of work and prepares estimates for partial and final payments to the contractors. Checks and reviews contractors test results to meet acceptable required specifications for materials.


Education: Two (2) full years of higher level directly related graduate education leading to a master's degree. GS-10: In addition to the requirements at the lower grade level(s), I have at least one year of full-time specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the next lower level (equivalent to grade GS-09) in the Federal service which include working experience and technical knowledge in the field of highway engineering principles and practices applicable to the process of developing transportation plans; Serves as inspector on contract construction projects; Experience with road classification; Experience working in the Federal service which include experience with verifying contract compliance through site visits; serving as Awarding Official's Technical Representative (AOTR)/Subordinate Awarding Official's Technical Representative (SAOTR) on contracts for transportation services; and experience developing or assisting with the development of Long Range Transportation Plans, Road Inventories and Transportation Improvement Programs. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and is typically in or related to the position to be filled. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date. Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472). Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur in the same location within 90 days from the closing date.


If you are qualifying based on your education, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement. If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society. One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education which shows the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: FOREIGN EDUCATION

Additional Information

All new hires earn the beginning salary of their pay grade (Step 1). See 2020 Salary Tables here and select the duty station from the Aberdeen, South Dakota to choose the appropriate pay chart. If no specific chart is listed for this geographic location, see the "rest of U.S." chart. The full performance level of this position is GS-10. Promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. A career ladder promotion is at the discretion of management, and in no way guaranteed. TELEWORK: Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of the position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval. You will be required to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: . Certain candidates may be eligible to apply under a special hiring authority including those for disabled individuals, Peace Corps employees, Foreign Service employees, veterans, etc. For more information, visit the following OPM websites: USAJOBS Information Center:; Vets Info Guide: Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. Most individuals who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.