Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Supervisory IT Specialist (Customer Support) in Fort Meade, South Dakota
Supervisory Information Technology Specialist (Customer Support)
Travel Required:Occasional travel - Travel required up to 25% of the time. Work schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 4 pm, Full time;NOTE: This position supports 24/7 operations throughout the calendar year. Work is typically performed on the day shift; however, the candidate may be subject to overtime work, shift work and/or work on rotating shifts to include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Learn more about this agency
The purpose of the position is to serve as a Supervisory IT Specialist for the customer support staff and report directly to the IT Area Manager for VA Black Hills Health Care System, District 3 Midwest/Territory 1. The Supervisory Information Technology Specialist serves within the IT under the supervision of the Area Manager and is responsible for exercising full supervisory, technical, and administrative responsibilities for planning, developing, implementing, executing, and evaluating the Information Technology (IT) Program. As a first level supervisor, incumbent manages the day-to-day operations to ensure specific needs of the customers are met in a timely manner and in compliance with IT policy and procedures. The Supervisory IT Specialist serves as the senior technical specialist for all customer service problems and as the focal point for the installation of hardware and software and incident resolution. The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Performing configuration management assignments to formally document and control the functional and physical characteristics of a system, or product during its life cycle.
- Identifying and tracking modifications required to enhance and maintain the installed hardware and software configuration of assigned systems.
- Providing guidance to project managers and other IT representatives on how to integrate services.
- Supervising a staff of employees to accomplish the work of the organizational unit.
- Providing a full range of IT hardware and software support to end users.
- Establishing guidelines and performance expectations for staff.
- Providing managerial oversight for the acquisition, installation, support and implementation of Wide Area Network systems and applications.
- Analyzing and coordinating all major facility hardware acquisitions and ensures compliance with District and national procurement directives and procedures. Position Description Title/ PD#:Supervisory IT Specialist (CUSTSPT), #15299A Location:This position is in the Office of Information & Technology (OIT), IT Operations and Services (ITOPS), End User Operations (EUO), District 3 Midwest Operations and assigned to Area Operations, VA Black Hills Health Care System, Fort Meade, SD. NOTE: This position does not require a financial disclosure. Compressed/Flexible Schedule: Not Available Telework: Not Available Virtual: This is not a Virtual Position - Position is located at a VA Facility
25% or less - You will be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
- Computer Occupations, All Other
- End-User Support Specialists
- Information Systems Managers
- Information Technology Project Managers
- Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist)
Managers, Information Systems
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must submit all required documents.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 09/25/2018.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS 12 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS 11. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. Note:Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment. However, 30% or more disabled veterans may be eligible to bypass Time-in-Grade.
Applicants must meet the Selective Placement Factor and have experience leading the implementation of IT systems deployed; resolution of systems, hardware and software issues; and management of IT resources.
Suggested Certifications: Applicant should have ITIL Foundations (v3 or 2011), CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security + certifications. Please provide a copy of each certification in your resume packet.
You may qualify based on your experience as described below: Specialized Experience: Applicants must have One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-11) that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate. This type of experience would reflect demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques and would include: * Applying knowledge of a wide range of computer techniques, requirements, methods, sources and procedures to perform a variety of assignments. * Planning work to be accomplished by subordinates, setting priorities and scheduling completion. * Performing personnel supervisory functions for subordinate employees to include: establishing performance standards, evaluating subordinate's performance, administering leave, selecting employees for vacant positions, initiating disciplinary actions, etc. * Managing IT and Telecommunication projects of different scope, and complexity. * Analyzing LAN/WAN and Telecommunication systems malfunctions for major center-wide systems and takes whatever action is required to remedy or effect system recovery. * Applying knowledge of customer support/data management/maintenance and services principles, methods, and practices sufficient to evaluate alternative approaches and recommend solutions to problems, and effectively manage customer support resources. You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Analytical Thinking
- Lead or Supervise
- Operations Support
- Planning and Evaluating
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements:Work is both sedentary and active, requiring walking throughout the medical center/CBOCs/Clinics or other designated areas. Duties will require lifting, carting and carrying computer equipment such as computers, monitors, scanners and printers weighing 20-40 pounds and driving a motor vehicle. Asking assistance from other specialists to help with lifting is encouraged. There may be limited crawling under desks and behind areas to gain access to equipment.
There is no educational substitution at this grade level.
Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal/VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation (a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location) and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Narrative responses are not required at this time. If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position you must submit a complete application package which, in addition to the on-line questionnaire, includes the following required documents:
- Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed. (required)
- SF-50 or Notification of Personnel Action showing you are/were in the competitive service and the highest grade or promotion potential held (if applying as a status candidate with current or former Federal Service). You must submit your SF-50 that shows Time-in-Grade eligibility and reflects your title, series, and grade. No award SF-50 will be accepted. (if applicable)
- DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Must be the Member 4 or Member 2 copy of the DD214 that shows Character of Service. (if applicable)
- Documentation of Service-Connected disability: Service-Connected disability letter and SF-15 Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (if applicable) http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/sf15.pdf (if applicable)
Failure to submit any of the required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted to support your status eligibility.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference.For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.To apply for this position, you must complete the questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 09/25/2018 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10288061.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USA JOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package. NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Application page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
(605) 745-2000 X2161
VA Black Hills Health Care System 113 Comanche Road Fort Meade, SD 57741 US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/509985500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/05/2018 to 09/25/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 12
Salary: $73,375 to $95,388 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time