Travelers Data Engineer/Analytics Lead- Remote in Pierre, South Dakota
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Bus Intelligence & Management Information
Job Description Summary
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Serves as Subject Matter Expert with knowledge of supported platforms and tools (Python, R, H2O, KNIME, and SAS analytic technologies).
• Meets with analytics community leads and users to understand needs and works with platform support leads to address approach and technologies to meet those requirements.
• Leads conversations with the Data Science community and completes work deliverables independently.
• Works closely with analytics engineering staff to ensure technical infrastructure is configured to meet customer expectations.
• Supports new technology proofs of concept evaluations through to production implementation hand-off to analytics engineering staff.
• Assists in the support of the Advanced Analytics Community of Practice and Technical Centers of Excellence.
• Assists in the migration of platforms and support to the Cloud.
• Data Acquisition, Prep and Exploration: Works with complex (type, quality, volume) and unfamiliar data. Connects to value for business. Able to link to systems.
• Responsibilities include complex analysis, assessment, and design at an expert level.
• Leads investigation and resolution efforts for high impact defects and problems.
• Ensures work complies with Travelers standards, processes, and protocols. Identifies gaps, escalating issue to manager.
• Develops and applies complex data derivations, business transformation rules, and data requirements.
• Leads small portfolio of projects or one large project (multiple workstreams), working across departments and business areas.
• Collaborates with project team and other key stakeholders to identify, estimate, and prioritize project and/or enhancement activities.
• Creates complex (technology and features) data visualizations techniques to help support data exploration.
• Liaise with Information Technology to architect and develop strategic analytics solutions including logic, rules, tables, as well as business requirements, governance, and specifications.
• Utilizes business knowledge to explain technical activities in business terms.
• Acts as resource for lower level employees working with less complex tools and data.
• Builds and maintains relationships across the enterprise.
• Analytic Data Discovery: Operationalizes and automates complex (more systems, data sets and streams, size of data sets more substantial) products into business.
• Optimizes and improves complex modeling tools and data products.
• Designs and leads integration of analytic data products and products, including pilots and proof of concept.
• Applies knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements.
• Analytic Support:Ensures business and data users are properly trained on data products/analytic environment. Identifies training opportunities.
• Ensures customer satisfaction through professional communication, follow-up, and responsiveness to issues.
• Consultation:Participate as data expert for projects with impact to business and enterprise performance.
• Builds, maintains, and utilizes partnerships across the enterprise.
• Develops data strategies within the context of business need. Integrates work efforts within respective business portfolios.
- 5 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
College Degree in STEM related field
Advanced knowledge of data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred. Examples (but not limited to):
Data Science/Engineering, Big data and Cloud platforms
Programming languages - SAS, SQL, Spark, Python, R, H2O, KNIME, Hive, AWS
Development and Visualization platforms: Python Notebook, IDEs, GitHub, QlikView, Tableau, MicroStrategy and Qlik Sense
6 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
Able to present complex technical concepts to audiences of varying size and level.
Business Knowledge & Partnership
Able to develop business partnerships and influence business priorities through solution identification aligned with business objectives and goals. Able to communicate in business terms and describe data capabilities and concepts in ways that the business can understand.
Problem Solving & Decision Making
Able to proficiently diagnose root causes and solve complex issues. Able to evaluate alternative solutions and assess risk before taking action. Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly and escalates appropriately. Demonstrates ability to optimize the use of all available resources.
Able to maintain and enhance partnerships across the organization to achieve objectives. Practices objectivity and openness to others' views. Able to recognize and support team priorities.
Accountable to set technical goals and priorities for self and other team members. Exhibits team leadership and collaborates with partners.
Planning and Project Management
Demonstrates ability to identify critical project tasks and establish clear priorities while keeping the bigger picture in mind. Able to effectively collaborate with Project Manager and utilize sound project management practices. Able to manage time and competing priorities.
Able to assess the financial impact of recommended designs/solutions.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email (TAPHYREQ@travelers.com) so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
- Travelers Jobs