South Dakota Jobs

South Dakota Department of Labor & Regulation mobile logo

Job Information

Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs REALTY SPECIALIST (GENERALIST OA) in Pine Ridge, South Dakota


This position is located with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Superintendent - Pine Ridge Agency, Real Estate Services, in Pine Ridge, South Dakota. NOTE:



Provides assistance, advice, oversight, monitoring, and coordination for protection, management, planning, conservation, development, and utilization of trust and restricted lands.

Analyzes requests for land into trust and use of Indian-owned trust assets to determine the compatibility of proposed uses with agency mission and owner's needs.

Implements a trust real estate services program to accomplish the timely and efficient processing of applications for i.e., patents, removal of restrictions, disposals, acquisitions, rights-of-way, surface and subsurface leasing and permitting.

Consults with beneficiaries/lessees/other land owners and interested parties about the process options, documentation, and other needs that may be associated with contracting and/or conveyance activities.

Collaborates and coordinates contract and conveyance transactions with supervisor to ensure that the necessary clearances and procedures have been secured and completed (i.e. appraisals, NEPA, TSR).


Conditions of Employment


EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: (OPM Operating Manual, Qualification Standards for Administrative and Management Positions, GS-1170). GS-05: I have 3 years of general experience, 1 year of which was equivalent to at least GS-4 grade level that demonstrates the ability to: analyze problems to identify significant factors, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions; plan and organize work; and communicate effectively orally and in writing.


EDUCATION:Four (4) year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree. GS-07: I have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 grade level in the Federal service that includes work performed involving substantial depth of data analysis; using knowledge of agency policies and procedures, federal statutes and laws, and a good understanding of real estate market, applicant will perform work in all areas of realty; oversees disposal of property, taking into consideration of conveyances; conduct negotiations with willing individuals or small groups; consult with leases and lessors and review lease packages.


EDUCATION:1 full year of graduate level education OR Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.). GS-09: I have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 grade level in the Federal service that includes work involving complex and extensive coordination and negotiation with landowners, tribal governments, or private property owners for land transactions; involving recommending corrective action or changes needed; provide proficient management of trust and restricted fee real property; process applications for land into trust, ensuring the protection, conservation and prudent utilization of Indian lands; collaborate and coordinate contract and conveyance transactions with supervisor to ensure the necessary clearances and procedures are secure and complete. (Your resume must support this experience.)


EDUCATION:Master's or equivalent graduate degree OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree OR LL.B. or J.D., if related. GRADUATE EDUCATION: Graduate education must be related to the occupation and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. SUPERIOR ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT: Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.) must have been gained in a curriculum that is qualifying for the position to be filled. S.A.A. is based on (1) Class standing-applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class, based on completed courses; or (2) Grade-Point Average-applicants must have a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or (3) Election to membership in a National Scholastic Honor Society - membership in a freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements of this provision. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date. Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472). Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur in the same location within 90 days from the closing date.


If you are qualifying based on your education, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement. If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society. One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education which shows the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: FOREIGN EDUCATION

Additional Information

All new hires earn the beginning salary of their pay grade (Step 1). See 2020 Salary Tables here and select the duty station from the Pine Ridge, South Dakota to choose the appropriate pay chart. If no specific chart is listed for this geographic location, see the "rest of U.S." chart. The full performance level of this position is GS-9. Promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. A career ladder promotion is at the discretion of management, and in no way guaranteed. TELEWORK: Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of the position are not suitable for telework under any circumstances. You will be required to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: . Certain candidates may be eligible to apply under a special hiring authority including those for disabled individuals, Peace Corps employees, Foreign Service employees, veterans, etc. For more information, visit the following OPM websites: USAJOBS Information Center:; Vets Info Guide: Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. Most individuals who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.