Lincoln Journal Star Publisher in Rapid City, South Dakota
Position at Rapid City Journal
Lee Enterprises, a leading media company in the U.S., seeks a dynamic, growth-focused Publisher to lead the local management team at the Rapid City Journal in Rapid City, SD.
The Publisher is responsible for the strategic, financial and operational success of all phases of the enterprise through effective team leadership of various departments, including sales, circulation and distribution, editorial, production, human resources and finance. The primary focus of the position is to drive sales performance to exceed goals and represent the community by building strategic partnerships that improves position in the market place. The Publisher makes an immediate difference by supporting every aspect of our complex business. The key responsibility areas are sales execution and leadership; market strategy and collaboration; achieving a culture of success; and community leadership and engagement. The ideal candidate will have a record of delivering results in both traditional and new media environments and deeply understand digital advertising and marketing.
- Provide leadership in the further development of revenue and profits in media, digital, and other alternative revenue streams
- Lead the team in planning short and long-term strategies to achieve goals and objectives; including development and annual updates of a strategic and capital plan
- Establish a work environment to challenge and reward all employees to contribute their best efforts to attain company goals and objectives
- Assure effective selection, training, development, and evaluation of employees and managers
- Meet projected revenue and expense goals
- Establish and supervises the direction for the editorial efforts of the paper
- Lead team sales efforts, both in advertising and circulation
- Direct the preparation of the annual budget
- Provide for the safety and security of employees and assets
- Enthusiastic involvement in community events and organizations
- Provide regular reports on items of importance and interest to corporate office
- Thorough knowledge of sales and management techniques. A keen understanding of digital in the marketplace with the capability of connecting audiences and businesses with our suite of digital products and marketing services
- Prior experience in advertising, sales, and news in a competitive market
- Strong management skills
- College degree in marketing, advertising or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated track record in recruiting high-performing talent
- Experience working in industries undergoing substantial change and transformation
- Ability to work closely with people. A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement
- A proven track record of high-performance and consistent results in a senior management role
Lee offers a competitive salary and benefits package as well as a challenging and rewarding work environment.
Lee Enterprises is a leading provider of local news and information, and a major platform for advertising, with daily newspapers, rapidly growing digital products and nearly 300 weekly and specialty publications serving 50 markets in 22 states. Lee's newspapers have average circulation of 0.9 million daily and 1.2 million Sunday, reaching nearly three million readers in print alone. Lee's websites and mobile and tablet products attract 20 million plus unique visitors monthly. For more information about Lee, please visit www.lee.net.