American Cancer Society South Dakota Grassroots Manager in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
South Dakota Grassroots Manager
- Job ID:
- Functional Area:
- Position Type:
- Experience Required:
3 - 5 Years
- Optional Location(s):
South Dakota - Sioux Falls
South Dakota - Aberdeen
South Dakota - Rapid City
- Education Required:
- Relocation Provided:
Email a Friend
Apply with LinkedIn
The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) is the nation's leading cancer advocacy organization. Together with our charitable partner, the American Cancer Society, we work in Congress, state legislatures and local jurisdictions to support evidence-based policy and legislative solutions designed to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. Based in Washington, DC with offices throughout the country, ACS CAN works to encourage elected officials and candidates to make cancer a top national priority.
Execute a comprehensive grassroots advocacy program, based on current best practices, for the state. This includes: developing and implementing a volunteer leadership program, developing and implementing grassroots campaign plans for local, state and federal legislative priorities, working closely with ACS division partners to include advocacy activities and ACS CAN membership recruitment in ACS signature events, supporting state/division ACS CAN fundraising goal achievement as directed, and complying with all relevant lobbying protocol including proper codes and time tracking.
• Develop and implement comprehensive grassroots advocacy campaigns, to demonstrate volunteer constituent support for cancer related policy initiatives. Use Direct Action Organizing best practices.
• Recruit, train, and develop volunteers, through a variety of internal and external channels. Implement recognition programs for volunteers. Maintain relationships with grasstops and grassroots volunteers.
• Write and disseminate legislative alerts, issue talking points, training curriculum, and newsletters for a diverse audience of volunteers. Communicate using messages that are tailored to the specific political environment and attuned to the rapid pace of legislative activities.
• Plan and manage state lobby days and local, state, and federal grassroots lobbying activities, including maintaining relationships with elected officials and their staff.
• Maintain local district relationships with members of Congress and their staff persons, both directly as appropriate and through volunteers.
• Plan and implement year-round advocacy activities and ACS CAN membership recruitment campaigns through signature ACS events including Relay For Life, Coaches/Colleges Against Cancer and Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.
• Conduct trainings as needed for volunteers and ACS staff in the state, and prepare volunteers for interactions with elected officials and their staff.
• Participate in ACS CAN fundraising activities as directed, towards achievement of an annual fundraising goal.
• Maintain ACS CAN state page, Facebook page, and/or other social media tools according to organizational guidelines and standards (coordinating with media advocacy staff if relevant).
• Identify and develop volunteers with personal stories related to ACS CAN’s policy campaigns.
• Lead Cancer Votes activities in the state, working closely with staff partners and national staff, and adhere to all IRS and ACS CAN legal requirements.
• Track and evaluate grassroots related projects to ensure successful completion and growth, including development of e-advocacy campaign narratives and message testing.
• Coordinate activities with state partners as well as national ACS CAN grassroots team.
• Accurately and effectively represent ACS CAN and its mission.
• Establish and maintain collaborations and partnerships as appropriate.
• Follow ACS CAN policies and guidelines.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years of relevant work experience
• Political campaign experience preferred.
Demonstrates the following Grassroots Advocacy competencies:
• Strategic mindset - Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
• Action oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Plans and aligns - Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
• Collaborates - Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Builds networks - Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
• Drives engagement - Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
• Manages ambiguity - Operates effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
• Situational adaptability - Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
• Strong written, oral, interpersonal and computer skills required.
• Ability to work independently with minimum direction as well as work as a member or leader of a team.
• Demonstrated ability to work on fast-paced, time-sensitive matters with internal and external constituents.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals and communities.
• Ability to complete work in a timely and efficient manner and ensure work is accurate.
• Ability to utilize available technology to perform position responsibilities.
Some travel required (estimated up to 20%) including overnights.
It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.